Dressing for Your Body Type: The Apple
The Apple. How do you know if you’re an apple? You might be an apple if:
- You have rounded shoulders
- Fullness in the tummy area
- Shapely/slim legs
- Average bust size
So, now you know you are an apple. What type of pieces are going to look best on you? Apple’s are kind of in-between shapes, and some are more pear, and some are more inverted triangle, while others are an apple with hourglass tendencies. So, let’s talk about some general do’s and don’ts to make that apple look like a Golden Delicious. (See what I did there?) 🙂
- Dress to follow your body line- keep embellishments above the neckline and below the hip line, to elongate your body line.
- If you do have very rounded shoulders (sloping shoulders) make sure to balance them with structures pieces, and 3/4 length sleeves, sleeves just below the elbow, long sleeves and bell sleeves
- Tops with scoop necks, v-necks, square necks and sweethearts are very flattering.
- Empire waist tops and dresses are great, and show off the chest, while camouflaging the tummy area.
- Jackets with one button, directly under the bust, work great with apples, as are jackets with shoulder pads. (Keep them minimal though- the ’80’s look hasn’t quite come back yet.)
- A-line skirts and dresses and flat front pants work great with your shape.
- Belts, big or small
- Sleeves that stop at the bust line
- Double breasted jackets, large lapels
- High waisted trousers and waistbands
- Crop tops
- Gathered or tiered skirts
So, there you go! The final installment in the what to wear series! Next we will start to talk about coloring. What colors look good with what skin tones. Trust me, there is a perfect color out there for everyone!